Saturday, October 29, 2005

Who Thought 4mm...

...could reek so much havoc. I have a pituitary stalk lesion, swelling or something like it. At least that's what the doctors seem to see up there. Everything on the internet and in/on those dead forums that exist on the internet seem to all be focused on the pituitary glad itself, the little bulb that sits on the bottom of the stalk. Good news - my bulb (or gland) is fully intact with no tumor - great, bad news - the stalk (that carries the messages from the hypothalmus) down to the bulb is experiencing a minor technical difficulty that has caused a domino effect that tumbled me into chaos. First starting with my sex hormones causing me to turn into what amounts to a jelly fish in about 3mths. Depressed hormones are something else. Joint pain, muscle loss and loss of strength and the friggin' weight gain that Drs refuse to admit is connected. I basically spent my summer falling into a vortex of the strange and unreal. All I kept thinking was, who would believe that 4mm could cause this much drama. So now I've begun an unconventional and much talked about treatment which now in my 3rd week is well um ok and seem to be working I'll keep the progress updated.
Spine scan-check, brain scan - check so all that is left to do now is get a much dreaded Spinal Tap and the inevitable biopsy. I've a pretty great Neurosurgeon Dr. Golfinos and he is cheerful and positive. He said that we've to carve out a date - no pun intended - to get this done so that we know what's there causing the pituitary to swell and consequently malfunction and thereby treat. I am just praying that this will be that last of the tests and the last of this long road to uncovering what the hell is going on. Its been one thing after a next and another and...I pray that this is the end of the road. I still think that very little is known or talked about when it comes to issues of the pituitary - I think that most people don't even know what it is or even if they have one. So off we go to surgery and that's a wrap. I'm on GH therapy don't know if anything is happening but I will be chronicaling that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home